Quote:

have you looked at the "drop in" surge boxes from either fuel safe or ATL? they have the features you want without having to engineer your own solution, or if you want to make your own, one of these companys offered one way check valves that that you could put into your surge box.

I have to admit, the option of using an OE fuel pump module is what I ended up going to after dealing with the same external fuel pump/baffled tank/return system issues for a few years and I am really happy with it. The one thing to consider is that if you are going to drive your car a lot, if something goes wrong, you have a really good chance to pick up a new OE fuel pump vs trying to find speed parts in the middle of nowhere - been there done that.

I have looked into the drop-in surge tanks and components, from what I've seen they're pretty pricey for what they are and I will have to modify it to fit the contour of the factory tank as it is. Basic/cheap hinges should be able to perform adequately, perhaps with some light modifications to them [making the "door" have a larger frontal area in one direction or something. I will have to assess that once I get them in-hand.

The OE fuel pump modules do seem like a reasonable option, I haven't looked into sealing one of those to the tank, but I will check it out [any links?].

I agree on reliability of an aftermarket pump being hard to come-by, if I was planning on a long road trip [Power Tour or something], carrying another $160 Walbro wouldn't be too straining to do, but I understand the concern. I do feel I am going in the direction of higher reliability compared to running it externally, which is pretty common to do in these applications, by mounting it internally.