Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't plan a 4.5 stroke in a 440 block for anything beyond about 600 hp, and then only if I had a very light rotating assembly and / or a center weighted crank to help relieve stress on the bottom end combined with small port heads....

At that point, why bother with the long stroke if you're not going after a big HP number? Get a Megablock or other aftermarket block, let it eat, and sleep soundly.

The reasons are budget, what's on hand and the torque range desired.

Well, of course, Greg. But, having a limited budget doesn't trump common sense, and most of all, safety. Like Monte said, you'll never know when the bomb will go off, and if it lets go at the top end, the resulting damage will be a lot more than what an aftermarket block costs.

DusterDave this was the same think I kept coming back to. I had stupid money in a 400 block. $1500-1800 more would have got me an aluminum block. Had it in the Cuda ready to fire up and I kept coming back to the same conclusion. This thing is not going to last and I could loose all the money I had in the block or worst my Cuda.
So I pulled the engine. I'll swap out the roller for a solid tappet, put on Eddy heads and shift it at 5800-6000 and race sportsman class. The engine will go in my 67 Belvedere wagon. Now to start saving for a better block to put in the Cuda. Some times we are all just knuckle heads. Lol

Ok