Hi all,

I am trying to revive an old 383 that came from a salvage yard, and has been sitting for several years in my project '66 Coronet. I've finally decided to sell this car, but in the meantime I need to be able to get it out of the garage (I've bought another Mopar), and move it from side-to-side in the driveway (I live in an HOA). The condition of the motor was unknown to me. According to the PO, it came out of a '65 Chrysler, and had around 65k miles on it. A few of the intake ports were quite rusty, so I removed the heads to look inside. The good news: no evidence of water inside. The bad news: I discovered a chunk missing from one of the pistons:

As you can see, the top part of the piston is missing, and a portion of the top ring is visible. The cylinder wall doesn't appear to be scratched. Since I'm not keeping this car, I don't want to spend the money to completely rebuild the motor. But I also don't want to do a hack job, either. I'd like to buy one piston & rings, pull this one out, being very careful to be clean with everything, and replace it. Does anyone see any problems with that plan? Could I get by with using the same rod bearings on this one connecting rod, or should those also be replaced? I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Roger