I wouldn't sweat just California. There's a guy I'm using in Wausau, Wisconsin that is awesome at sheet metal work. He's a small shop, and does all of the work himself, and can do whatever kind of detail you want to see. He can do the original spot weld look, or he can just plug weld everything too depending on your budget. He's even saved the spot welds on one side of sheet metal that he can save, and he does this by grinding off the opposite side spot weld while leaving the one side that you want to save. He doesn't have to go to that route if that's not what you're looking for, but he does have that kind of skill -- which no shop that I am aware can even do anymore. The spot weld "artwork" I've seen shops do now looks like the end of a 1/2" to 3/8" drill bit end -- looks bad to me; but hey, to each their own I guess.

This guy does more than just metal work too. He understands how these cars go together and does assembly work as well. If you're looking for high quality, I can recommend this guy.

If you would like more information just PM me and I can give you the guys' contact information. I know he's busy, which is a good thing, but damn, if it were me and I had the money, I'd definitely get in line if the distance thing doesn't scare you.

Best of luck with whatever way you plan on going.

Mark