1. Get the crank out of there.

2. Have a piece of aluminum or steel turned to just fit in the bore.

3. Put it on top of a piston and strike it hard with a pretty big hammer. You are trying to dislodge the piston.

4. When you have moved the piston out of the rust zone, clean the cylinder wall and apply some lubricant.

5. Drive the piston out from the bottom. Use a piece of oak on the upper half of the connecting rod, or figure something else out.

6. If there is a piston that just won't move, use a long piece of rebar and break out the piston top.

7. Use a hollow stem hydraulic jack and some wire rope to jack the piston out by looping the wire rope around the wristpin.

That's how I got the pistons out of my Mercedes block after a leaky head gasket caused them to be glued into the cylinders. The worst piston broke two loops of 1/4" wire rope, had to go to 5/16".

IF that doesn't work, put the block in a 55 gallon drum. Fill with hot water and pour in about 10 lb of lye. Let stand for a month or so. The pistons should disappear in time.

R.

I really hate to see a nice sized Hemi block going to waste. That engine had a 4-barrel stock. I'd love to put it in my '33 Ford pickup or other hotrod. Too bad you live so far away!

Last edited by dogdays; 08/01/14 03:26 PM.