Quote:

That's what I figured...no quench & I can hear the pinging already.
So if I mill the heads .015-.020, compression goes up too...and there's real no benefit?
I thought I saw this info somewhere and can't put my finger on it, but what is 0.010" equal to in CC's?

btw...I was thinking about one other measurement I made that I did not publish here. I put a straight edge across the head, and measured 0.073" with a feeler gauge to the flat of the chamber. If I take that value, subtract the quench dome of 0.039", that's 0.034" (0.011" less than the solder test). I wonder if the solder didn't crush down all the way. That would place quench at 0.054"...still 0.014" less than ideal, but better.

Is grinding out the head overhang a typical approach to increasing the CC's? I assume leave the quench area alone.

The solder was obviously causing the piston to rock while crushing, I wouldn't use that to determine a value, doing it with the straight edge and feeler blades, and math is, more accurate.

For BB open chamber head, .005 for every CC , .015 3cc, .020 4cc, .025 5cc

No there is a benefit , but you have iron heads and possibly not high enough octane because of the iron heads not succking out more of the combustion heat, faster, like an alum head does. Quench/squish is not the magic bullet, but it helps.

i'd want .045 MAX , anymore and you may as well leave it at .065.

To increase CC, think about it, the chamber needs to be BIGGER ... yes leave the quench area alone except to maybe smooth it, but try not to make it deeper , the smoother/shiner it is the less chance for hotspots that will help cause detonation.