Quote:

I'm trying to install E-body SS springs on my '70 Barracuda (P3690460, 461). Thay are the 3600# versions. I have the extended, offset front hangers and the offset shackles.
How do you get the shackle in? Everything looks too short (see pic). I know these springs have much more arch than the stockers. Also know that the bottom of the shackle should be behind the top. Is there a trick to installing these? Or is something wrong with this set-up? I can get the left side together (barely), but no way on the right side (pictured).

Put your floor jack under the spring and lift the bottom of the spring until the rear eyelet pushes into the frame and lengthens it enough to install your shackle.

Be sure to coat the spring eyelets, bushings and shackle bolts with synthetic disc brake grease. It's about the only stuff that won't attack rubber, plastic or anything, won't wash out and lasts for almost ever. I use that stuff on anything that moves pins slides and wiggles, well almost everything...

On a related note, those 3600 lbs springs are WAY to stiff for an E-body. I know they are supposed to be the right spring for it, but it's going to ride like a truck with no weight in it. I learned that one from Dr Diff. Best rear suspension I've ever had on my car and I've tried 5 different combinations including Caltracs.

You need a pair of 3000 to 3200 lbs P3412002 Super Stock springs for the passenger side of a '68 Super Stock car. Use the same spring on both sides, so it sits even unless you are a drag racer only. These springs give the car a nice stance, rides nice and are smooth like luxury car on the road when good shocks are used.

Put some Bilsteins on it at a minimum if you are on a budget. A pinion snubber is recommended, but you can keep it a few inches from the floor so you don't get a stiff ride and it will still work as the car will squat and hook-up hard.

Last edited by jbc426; 06/20/14 08:11 PM.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)