I know a bit wordy but here it is anyway....

OK.. got my trans problem worked out and during the test drive everything fine until we started smelling burning brake lining. We stopped and the RH rear brake was smoking!!. Man... called the wife and had her come out with some tools and we got it squared away on the side of the road. Brake shoes had no clearance and were rubbing. I was able to get it apart and loosen the adjustor. No problems on the way home. Everything seemed OK. Strange I thought since I had adjusted it with what I thought was enought clearance.

Today, I did a couple of final things to the car and took her out again for what I thought would be a trouble free cruise. I coasted some to make sure car would do so and stopped once midway to check the brakes and all wheel temps were good and the same.

When I got home I smelled that smell again.. no smoke but this time BOTH rear brakes were very hot - no smoking but hot. They both seemed to have auto adjusted somehow and got tight. Of course I had used them and they are expected to be warm but they were hot and you could smell the rears. The fronts were warm and did not smell.

I checked the wheel cylinders and they actuate and release OK. The brakes and auto adjuster are assembled correctly and per FSM. I had the wife cycle the pedal with one drum off so I could ensure the shoes were moving and returning to their relaxed position.

I rebuild the master cylinder myself... could it be that? or maybe the proportioning valve? Something else? It is perplexing....