Quote:

I'm at a point where I am trying to decide what to do about my fuel tank on my 340. The original tank has outer surface rust but looks to be very clean inside.....never leaked.
A search on repro gas tanks on here indicates that they don't look exactly like the original as they also are stamped for longitudinal straps for 67.
I was thinking about calling my local radiator shop to see if they can clean the original. Anybody have any ideas as to whether this is a good idea or a bad idea?

If it's clean inside, then no reason to get the radiator shop involved, IMO. Either way I would not use them even if it's nasty inside, then it's time for a repo.

I recently cleaned up a used one I had in storage for 30 years. The inside was spotless with fairly heavy rust on the outside. I sand blasted mine after pressure washing.

Then I use Eastwoods Tank Tone paint on it. The paint don't look like galvanizing, but I like the looks and does offer good protection as I have used it years ago also.

Rusty outside bottom.

Freshly blasted before paint.

With 2 larger openings, it not not too hard to pressure wash out the inside. Then I use like a pint or 2 of methanol, swish it around inside and it instantly drys out the inside. Just a idea for you and I didn't give my local radiator man guy any money.