I have been told that it won't work, but I did it in a truck several years ago. Had a truck with bad pinion bearings and a different axle with the wrong bolt pattern. I swapped the axles and drums from the "old" axle into the "new" axle and drove the truck. I believe I had to use the "C" clips that were with the axle shafts I swapped in.

Understand, this was a work truck that was abused, and was known to have carried a lot of weight some days. I drove the truck for about 3 years total, until something else broke (probably the trans, I had a habit of killing them), and the truck turned into parts. I really don't remember at what point in the truck's service to me the axle swap took place. I would guess it was fairly early in its service life, buying new U bolts on a truck that had served me for a couple years was not something I would have taken lightly. LOL!

I do remember an issue with the "C" clips at the time of the axle swap, seems with one set of clips, there was more play with the shafts then with the other set. I went with the set with the least clearance thinking at least the clips won't fall out. The mentality at the time was "I need this truck to work". I was a function over correctness sort of guy, and still am. Gene