Quote:

As some of you may have deduced I am on a strict budget and I don't think a wideband 02 is in it. I also recently moved from Michigan to fortworth TX and was not able to bring any of my gerage goodies with me. I don't have the room to put the tools nor do I have anywhere to park a beater car while I work on the duster so any work I do has to be done on weekends and the car has to be ready to get me to work on Monday.I can pick up a used eddy from e-bay or a swapmeet for 100.00 or so and just wondered if it would be worth it. If all it gets me is a mile or 2 per gallon it's probably not worth it as it would take a couple of years to pay back and I hope to have a place to keep the car by then so I don't have to drive it every day. When that happens I hope to build a more performance oriented engine and have some fun with the car.

Here are a few lo buck to no buck things you can try that will not disable the car for longer than a few hours:

Reduce the size of the primary main air bleeds by inserting wire. Start small and go larger until you get a stumble, then back off. This will delay the start of the main circuit, leaning out the bottom end. It would help if you had a caliper or a micrometer to measure the wire. Long term if this works out for you, you should probably drill and tap the carb to accept homemade screw in air bleeds. You don't even have to disassemble the carb to try the wire here. Cost: zero if you have a variety of scrap wire and access to a caliper or 0-1" micrometer.

Insert wire into the idle feed restrictors. Same as above, starting small and slowly going up until lean miss is encountered. If you think the idle circuit is rich, this can calm it down. The idle circuit is still very much in play at light cruise. Cost: in addition to the above, a set or two of block gaskets, bowl gaskets and bowl screw gaskets.

If you're a tinkerer with a low budget, this stuff can help.

Jim