This weekend I want to dial in the Charger and get it tuned right. I recently had the heads ported and changed to thicker head gaskets to lower the compression. Previously it was near 11.0 to one with 190+ cranking compression and detonated on the pump premium 91 octane gas we have here in CA.
I have an AEM wideband EUGO air/fuel guage in the car with an O2 sensor in the RH header collector. Currently with the Grant 850 Demon carburetor I am able to get it to idle in the mid 14 ratio in neutral and in gear. Part throttle and full throttle are under 13.0 and even richer. I'm taking the wife along tomorrow to map the actual numbers while I drive the car. Its cheaper than dyno time.
This method of tuning is new to me. I've stumbled along in life tuning cars by how they feel rather than using any type of guage. Most of my experience has been with stock or mildly modified engines. This car raises the stakes and I want to get it right.
Is it fair to say that since I am able to get the A/F into range at idle, I should be able to get the part throttle and WOT into range with jets and power valves? Even though it reads that it is too rich, I smell no fuel and see no black smoke. I recall reading that for WOT the goal is in the 13.0 range but what is a good goal for part throttle?
After I get the carburetor dialed in, I want to work on the ignition. I have a Rev-n-nator ECU that I want to use. The instructions read that in most cases the timing needs to be retarded at least 2 degrees due to the unique manner in which the ECU works. This means that if I need more initial timing, I'll need to narrow the advance curve.
Last week when I drove the car I felt a bit of an off idle stumble and lower idle vacuum. I thought I read here that it is suggested to set the timing to the highest manifold vacuum. Am I remembering that right? Currently it is set to 19 degrees initial and 33 total without vacuum advance.
Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks, Greg.