Quote:

I run 5 sets of 901-16 spring with 16 stock intake retainers to ditch the exhaust rotators. on LA small block heads 318/360

all of them on lunati flat tappet cams,1 luntai voodoo roller cam and now on the hughes whiplash roller cam in my 91 318 with 3302 heads.

all lunati springs for small blocks are doubles with damper and need machine work to fit head.

the comp 901-16 drops on with head on engine, uses stock retaners/seals.

hughes spring have a little more seat pressure but less spring rate than the comp 901s = little less seat presure but more spring rate.

what cam are you going with?

I also eliminated the exhaust rotators on my '82/3 318 and replaced them with a set of Edelbrock springs.The installed height of the springs was too short on the exhausts with stock retainers.The exhaust spring seat on the head must have been taller when used with the rotators.I used Hughes Engines retainers that allowed the spring to have more installed height without machining the spring seats in the heads.They are available in several increments to adjust this,and all dimensions/specs are listed on their page.They will sell you a half set if you need different heights for intake/exhaust,just call and ask.I know it's not exactly an answer to your original question,but if you end up needing to buy retainers,might as well check installed height too and buy them once!
Hughes Engine link:
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/produ...EFjY2Vzc29yaWVz

RT