Quote:

I'm almost ready for the Exhaust system and wonder what are the Pro's and Con's of both 2.5" or 3.0" and Stainless or Aluminized pipe.
I found a shop that will do an all Custom Mandrel bent system with a "X" pipe for my '70 Swinger with a Mild 440, Try-Y's 727, Mini tubbed.
I would think the 3" is an overkill but I may grow into it later.
What say you?
Thanks.

Ricky, lets look at this whole exhaust system using just a little bit of logic. Since I'm quite familiar with the engine combo, maybe I can be of some help here. We already know what the HP and Torque of the engine was with a proper header on it, we already know that those scrawny tri-y headers are going to be restrictive at best. They likely have a 3" flange off the collector, but does the pipe inside the flange actually measure that big?
More to the point, I'd run 3" pipe to the mufflers and then 2 1/2" for tail pipes. That way if you ever get a real set of headers you'll at least have the right size pipe up front. There's no power to be gained on your combo with 3" pipe all the way out the back because your restriction is right at the header. A good aluminized system will last 10-12 years, something to keep in mind when it comes to cost vs. return on investment. Now if you plan on putting mirrors under your car at car shows and you want to polish up some stainless pipe, that's a different story.
PM me the name of the shop you're talking to. I know of only one shop in this county that has/ had a true mandrel bender and they're on Military trail. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

machine shop owner and engine builder