Quote:

With all the discussion organisol VS. argent on the 1971 e-body SHAKER bubble.
There will be every example conceivable due to 40+ years of "known" originals, NOS examples, & documented restorations - RIGHT or WRONG. Was it all due to factory or dealer mistakes/shortages/changes/etc.?

What was the designers intent (wild was in full swing while these cars were being drawn up)?. What did the penny-pinchers implement during the 12th hour (as the musclecar was dying and money was getting tight)? I've developed a little theory as to what it was intended to be.

1971 (ORIGINAL INTENT)
'Cuda w/body color painted grill = BLACK SHAKER
'Cuda w/argent grill = argent SHAKER
Challenger w/argent grill = argent SHAKER
Challenger R/T w/black grill = BLACK SHAKER

This "ORIGINAL INTENT" would've required 14 different SHAKER bubbles (w/engine call out emblems installed) to be on-hand in-quantity at the factory waiting to be installed on an e-body as it came down the line.

I will add my 2 Cents from what is sitting in my garage.

1. 1971 Cuda, Hemi, Automatic, Dana, real car, GY9, Argent grill, painted side mirrors, black bubble, with very smooth black paint do to being washed a million times. November 1970 door sticker

2. 1971 Challenger, hemi, four speed, dana, FC7, real car, shaker, painted mirrors, silver bubble, race car now but have pictures of car first day bought home from Raceway Chrysler, Rexdale, Ontario. June 71 door sticker.

Put on what every bubble color looks the nicest to you Dave. With a silver bubble, it looks nice with certain exterior colors and certain color interiors. Black Bubble basicly looks good with any color.Nothing is set in stone in 1971 for color of bubbles. There are a few things that can be followed but someone will always come up with an odd ball. I would paint the bubble with the best paint that sticks to it and is an easy repair. You will likely be taking the bubble assembly off and on the motor quite often. I have experience in this and something or someone always ends up scratching the bubble.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY