Quote:

The intent of CAM as it is now is to help Regions who are seeing more Pro-Touring cars by giving them a standardized class structure and set of rules. Up until now, PT cars wind up many times in E Street Prepared, C Prepared, X Prepared, E Modified, or lumped in some other class where they may or may not be competitive depending on what the level of competition in that given region may be. The decision to go the way the SCCA did was because 1)they mimic rules that pro touring competitors are already familiar with and 2)allow Regions a lot of flexibility in classing. The only "new" rule for PT competitors is the weight rule. That rule was added because of PT competitor input and a concern for lightweight kit cars having an unfair advantage. Because of the lack of "National" status, a detailed rule set isn't needed or advantageous.

Now if SCCA decides to grant National status then yes, rules would need to be more clearly defined and then proposed rule sets like Dan's and others make sense. Right now the goal is just give PT car owners a place to play at the regional level. It's not perfect but neither are Goodguys, American Street Car, et-al rules. But then again their rules were crafted to regulate cars that already existed.

If someone is foolish enough to build a CAM class "killer" car as CAM exists now, that person would be a fool. If someone wants to go to that much effort for Regional Championship and the $10 trophy that goes with it, that's their decision. If they wind up building a white elephant if the class goes National (assuming it ever does), that is their problem.

I know what I'm doing. The Mustang I'm running now will get a little more attention and a fresh set of 200TW tires and the PT Aspen I'm building is still going to be built the way I want to build it. That means it's still getting a Laughlin stock car chassis because that's what I want.

What Dave no love for the RamVan?

Mopar to the bone!!!