Quote:

Pretend I'm dumb, what is "SCT" and what is a "2 bar map"?
I do understand the "OBD-II and the 12-14 psi boost very well though.

This Dakota chassis and drive train is in my 48 Plymouth coupe. More kick would be fun, but I don't want a V8. Gene

Paging Mopar Magainze editor Randy Bolig!! see above!?

(sorry, I was told that Mopar Muscle was not interested in "a dakota article" numerous times to include an indepth article about what SCT is and how it works, and how it's applicable to more than just Dakotas because too many people don't know about SCT)

SCT is a way to reprogram the factory computer to increase timing, add more fuel by increasing the duration the injectors spray, adjust target idle speeds, shift points, remove speed limiters, etc.

You buy a hand held tuner that plugs into the OBD-II port under the dash (or wherever you relocated yours to on a retro swap) and you go through the steps on the hand held device. it reprograms your factory computer. When done, you unplug the SCT hand held, and you're good to go.

Also buy "unlimited tunes" which allows you to do a back and forth with the tune writer while you dial in your engine tune --this is best done with a wide band O2 sensor and a data logger, but can also be done on a chassis dyno or even "old school" by reading plugs after a run for timing tweaks and AFR adjustments.

SCT is currently discontinued the 9550 model tuner, but they did that to release a newer updated model that should be due out by Thanksgiving/Christmas time. when is SEMA? I think the rumors are that the release will be at SEMA.

Contact this guy for more 'how to' info or to place an order. He can tune Magnum engines -- 3.9, 5.2, 5.9, 4.7, 5.7, V-10s. And a cool trick is that he can even take say a 5.9 automatic computer from a california emissions vehicle, and program it to a 5.2 stick shift with federal emissions (which eliminates thrown codes, CELs etc.) and at the same time, change the engine tune to maximize performance, even if you're running a booster 408 stroker.

Hemifever@aolcom

www.hemifevertuning.com

2-bar MAP sensor is...well, I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's the Manifold Pressure sensor that's for boosted engines, and can handle vacuum from part throttle cruise and boost from WOT. The Neon SRT-4 MAP sensor is a 2-bar map sensor.

**Photobucket sucks**