I've run a powder coating plant for 16 years now. Have not heard of anyone using one of those for curing the powder. Have seen guys use electric ranges and similar ovens normally seen in the home.

The down side to a gas fired unit is you may end up with color shift, or a change in gloss depending on how sensitive the powder you're using is. Gas fired powder cure ovens are designed to turn a certain volume of air over inside them while running, to avoid this. It's possible to have slightly different results on the same powder between a gas and an electric cure oven, or a convection vs an infrared oven. although you'd have to have an awfully good eye. Usually you would need a color meter to measure the difference.

In my experience, the main stream suppliers have formulated products that are pretty forgiving for the most part. Home users tend to be buying small volume off the internet, and I'm never sure where that stuff comes from. I'd be particularly concerned about neon like finishes and clear coats.

One final thought. If you look at a technical data sheet for any powder, there's a cure cycle specified, and normally the supplier wants to see their powder heated to a certain temp within so many minutes and then kept at that temp for so many minutes, so the cure cycle completes correctly. 9 times out of 10 if you have an early powder failure it's because of inadequate cure.

Hope this helps.

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way