Challenger 74, I believe you are correct on the bearing being installed in the flywheel, it has been a while since I did it and now that you mentioned it I believe that is where it went.

The reason the roller bearing was used is because the crankshaft is a 4" Eagle stroker crank and for some reason the hole that they drill for the tranny input shaft is not the standard size as the factory shaft so you can't put the standard pilot bushing in there. I don't remember what the specifics where at the time but my engine builder said I could use the MP roller bearing as an alternative.

I'm not sure if Eagle has since addressed this issue (this was almost two years ago when I had the engine done) but I think I remember reading a post on here that someone else had the same problem trying to find a pilot bushing that would fit the Eagle 4" crank.

But it is what it is, so no need to really debate whether they are a good idea or not, I really just need to find out what the symptoms are when they go bad.

70 Cuda 340 4 speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350