I have a steering problem on a non mopar. Recently bought an 88 GMC suburban 4 wheel drive, solid axle in the front. I'm having a problem where occasionally the truck will want to turn to the right or the the left. You can fell the steering wheel wanting to pull the truck, You can hold the wheel and continue to drive straight but if you let go the truck will turn. This lasts a few seconds then stops, may happen several times in a row in either direction. Doesn't feel like something is loose or broken, feels like something is trying to turn the wheel. May last for a minute then the truck drives fine. Did it this morning pulling out of the house then again 45 minutes later pulling into work. First thought it was the steering box so replaced with reman cardon. Steering is basically tight except for this, wanders here and there but much better with the box. Everything looks good underneath, replaced drag link and rag joint at same time as box.

Is there any way the pump could cause this? I ask because when it happens it feeld like the assist is causing the wheel to turn, hard to explain. But I would think a bad pump would either over assist or underassist, not steer one direction or the other.

I also did drivers balljoints recently, didn't align afterwards. Can only toe be set on 4wd without alot of effort, Would toe cause this or just a wandering?

Other thought is cracked frame with Chevy is famous for. I checked when the box is out and looked good.

The rest of the suspension componenets are solid...no play or slop, bushings are good, no obvious broken or loose parts. Any thoughts? Next step is check the toe then have someone turn the wheel while i check to see if the box flexes.