I posted a bit ago with pics of the drag car I picked up recently. I'd love to get to the track next year, and was curious how many guys have used 'junk yard' motors to get the feel of the car as well as racing in general. I have run street cars hard but haven't made a pass before.

Here's what I have to work with, 69 barracuda that has been cut to pieces, has a 14pt cage, all lexan windows, stock floor and its all steel minus the hood and front bumper. The chassis is a cut up k-frame set up for a motor plate, stock front end, 9in rear end with 4.56's and a spool. Has leafs in the rear with a hard welded ladder bar set up between the leafs and slicks. The car is set up for a BB/727, 2 fabbed driveshafts, old Hooker SC huge primary fenderwell headers, the rear tires are 32 x 16.5's and skinnies on the front. The 440 short block was built by Roth racing, it has fresh 452 heads with triple springs and big valves, Harland Sharpe rockers, domed pistons, was supposedly running the 850 thermoquad I got with it, 8.5" converter, what I was told is a built 727 with RMVB. I have no idea what the car weighs but I can push it around the garage without much effort, and I moved it against the wall using a pair of tractor supply ATV dollies under the front wheels.

My idea is to run a stock motor with the 727 I have, but I'm not sure about the RPM's it would be turning, I don't want to get in over my head by putting in a built motor without more experience driving. Any advice, or thoughts? I know it will cost money to get a running motor, and the converter will have to be milder but I'm sure the car will be plenty quick to get it dialed in and some seat time to get comfortable. Thanks in advance, TC.

7806295-IMG_8141.JPG (79 downloads)