(Quote) But due to different part numbers on the 68/69 = 4016DTT wheel compared to the 1970 wheel 4016FTT ??????

Leads me to believe the difference is in the color OR maybe the filler ring was attached OR maybe the steel portion was modified to accept the adapter, hence the different part number. (Quote)

Hi Bill, the "D", "E" and "F" in the part number refers to the year it's applicible to and has nothing to do with the darkness of the color on the wheel or any other design feature.

D = 1968
E = 1969
F = 1970

The "TT" stands for "TAN" as in the color of the rim. The first "T" signifies the front of the rim is Tan in color and the second "T" signifies the back half of the rim is also Tan.

For example, the 1970 rim blow wheels are coded 4020 FTX. The "F" designates the year (1970), the "T" means the front of the wheel was Tan in color and the "X" means the back of the wheel is Black in color.

I will stand by my previous observation on the variety in color of the plastic used for the rims as the reason you could get a range of final values/shades of Brown during any year the wood grain wheels were produced.

Colors varied greatly during a production run and I think it's a mistake to generalize by saying that the 1970 wheels are accepted to be darker than previous years. This goes for other makes of wheels such as Ford and GM too.

Just my

This is an interesting subject (and not just because I'm "The Steering Wheel Guy" LOL) and I think it's a good thing to debate the information. Hopefully this thread will bring out some documentation that will help prove any theory's that are put forth.

Doug Lepak
The Steering Wheel Guy
web site: http://drive.to/stwheels
Specializing in MOPAR wood grain steering wheels

Doug Lepak