I searched the forums for previous posts, but couldn't find anything. I always wondered, When the Magnum engine came out, why Chrysler went to a single rocker setup and dropped the shaft mount style of LA engines? Was it a cost saving deal? I remember reading an article (couple months ago), about an engine builder that worked for Chrysler in the 70's, His shop was in California. He was, I guess, an R and D/ experimental mechanic that Mopar employed. From the article he worked on everything from /6 to fuel injected 426 Hemis. But I distinctly remember when he was asked by some "penny pincher" from Chrysler in Detroit. The pencil pusher suggested and believed that they should use a single rocker setup like Chevrolet, he thought it would be same performance, and money savings.. The Mechanic(cant remember his name) argued back and forth with them, then agreed to build a 318 with single rocker setup. He told them he would do it, but he would personally deliver the engine! They asked him why, and he replied: Because I want to be in the dyno room when it fails, not if, when.. And sure enough the engine failed. I have always wondered why they changed when the magnums came out, then after reading that article, I was more confused!! Any Ideas?

NO!! It's not a Nova...

72' Demon 340-727-8 3/4 3.55
69' Charger 440-727-8 3/4
78 Powerwagon 318-727
99' Dakota R/T 5.9
74' Scamp (project)
96' Cherokee 4.0 4x4