G'day all ... Yesterday the shifter in my Challenger decided to not play nice. (70 Challenger. A727 TF with slapstick floor shift)

It won't move out of gear unless I tap it on top with a hammer. It will move freely between 1 & 2. To get it into D, N R or P I need to tap the top with a hammer and it will loosen up and move. once it is in one of those gears, it won;t come out again unless I give it a tap again. I posted a video below.

I don't believe it's a internal trans, or even a linkage/rod problem. I'm pretty sure it's the actual shifter mechanism itself. The threaded shaft that pushes down isn't engaging properly and has very little movement. That's what I tap with the hammer to free it up.

Any thoughts?

I'll be going down to have a proper look today (it was at the body shop), but even if I take it apart, I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Does anybody have an exploded view diagram of it? Kind of hard to know if something is missing if I don't know what's suppose to be there in the first place.

Thanks for your time,
Russ

Here's a link to a quick video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDqMrUHU_4