So recently purchased a new car, 69 charger R/T original motor although known to have been rebuilt although unknown what was exactly done. (Was running a Holley 850 with 80/80 jets and the previous owner stated that the gentleman he purchased the car from had the engine balance and blue printed and thought it may be stroked.)

When I drove the car home,gas spraying the car following and whenever engine turned off it would diesel and exhaust smelt strongly of gas.
Assumption was engine heavily over carb'd. Checked plugs to confirm and they were saturated.

Purchase a holley street avenger 670, looked to be about right size if engine internals are stock to mild as I did not want to go to aggressive as its the matching numbers engine for the car. (Engine has miloden pan, headers, performance intake, stock heads, 1.5:1 rockers. About all I know without taking engine apart.)

Currently I have the new carb jetted with 68's in the front and 72's in the back.
Air fuel ratio at idle is approx 13.25, but even adjusting air mixture screw on carb I cannot get it to fluctuate much from this point.

What could cause this problem, jet sizing? Faulty exhaust air fuel guage? Should I go up jet sizes? (70 fronts, 74 rear?)
Thought?

Last edited by stephenlocke; 06/30/13 09:15 PM.