Quote:

so we are getting the crank fixed right now the thrust bearing failed big time! i have never even heard this engine run but it seems to have been put together ok. i am having the block tanked to get all the oil passages cleaned out then new bearings throughout. we will give it a hone and a fresh set of rings while we are at it. it only had 4000 miles when it lost the thrust bearing. the converter looks fine but i am worried about the trans i don't know much about it and i am concerned it may have had something to do with the bearing issue.what could be some of the possible causes and what can i look for? thanks guy's

Typical candidates are:

Rough on the thrust face of the crank. When the crank is machined it leaves "star burst" lines radiating outward. Very difficult to polish

Ballooning torque converter from excessive pressure in the converter

Lack of play between flex plate and converter

Excessive clutch pressure (4 speeds). The heavier the clutch, the more pressure needs to be exerted to release it. This force pushes the crank forward against the rear thrust surface. I try not to start my car with my foot on the clutch because there is 0 oil pressure. I also try to shift to neutral and have my foot off the clutch at stop lights.