Quote:

If the incident occurred in staging lanes there is no insurance once on a track or its ramps leading onto the track. Pit parking area insurance should be valid.Question I have is does this apply to comp?

That only applies to the vehicle being raced, not to the tow rig and/or trailer. Each company has different policy language, but I've never seen an exclusion from coverage for a tow vehicle/trailer unless it's a personal vehicle hauling property "for a fee."

You'd have to read your policy to know for sure, but generally, what's excluded from collision coverage is also excluded from comp coverage. For example, here's how the exclusion reads in my Liberty Mutual policy, which covers my and my wife's daily drivers, but not our old cars:

"We will not pay for loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto while the car is being used for:
a) competing in; or
b) practicing and preparing for

any organized racing, speed, demolition, stund, or performance contest or related activity whether or not for pay."

If an insurer really wanted to push the issue, they could try to deny coverage for a tow rig passing through the pits, staging lanes, etc... as part of "preparing for" a race, but that would be a stupid move, because the tow rig isn't going to be racing, and the exclusion is meant to apply to the vehicle being raced. It would take a brain-dead adjuster, with an equally brain-dead manager, to apply the exclusion to the tow vehicle/trailer, and if they did, they would certainly lose if the customer sued, and they would certainly lose if the customer filed a complaint with their state's Department of Insurance. Denying coverage in that manner would be a blatant case of bad faith, which can earn a company big-time $$$ fines.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP