Quote:

My 2 cents,,, Optima is what I have had in my race car going on 4 years, no issue, I run 2 , with an alternator!
Optima along with several other battery names have been made now by Johnson controls for @ 4 years now, All of Autozone are as well as Advances, and most of Orielys, Altho they do have some Excide batteries.
All of Sears are Johnsons controls ,Walmart has a combo of excide, and Johnson control.
Only a few batteries makes are made here in the USA, All of Johnson Controls are made either mexico, or china/japan!
I believe the Excide Brothers may still be in jail??
Be that as it may, most batteries have a life of # 3 - 4 years!
Acid or glass mate, or gel. batteries can be influence by alternators issues, or battery drain issues, the more the battery goes dead by improper wiring issues and such it takes life out of the battery,
Improper charging technics is the biggest issue I have seen , use the correct charger for the type of battery you have

My first optima lasted me 12 years. I may have squeezed the last year out of it though. So I bought a new one and took a "bad" one that was offered to me from the store also. The "bad" one was 2 years old at the time. I charged the "BAD" one with my AGM charger and well one year later I have 2 good Optimas. I do believe there had been a quality control issue but not nearly as bad as people think.