Quote:

It had a fabric covered top originally over a wood framework. I'm not sure why they were done this way. My guess is cost savings in production. Maybe someone else can enlighten us?

Arno

the reason this was done this way was because there wasn't a press or die big enough to stamp a top section in one piece. all manufacturers did this untill 36 or 37. in the early days it was only possible to stamp front, rear, and rt/lft sides then weld together to form the top. the welds were often very poor as the joints weren't precise by any means. they were then leaded over to fill the seams. the resulting hole was then filled with a wooden framework covered with "chicken" wire and a fabric covering.[my humpback has the luxury of having 2 holes in the roof made this way.] i read this somewhere a million years ago in a book about henry ford.......

gene, you are right. mopar was the first to make a solid top, but in 35 the sedans still had a roof insert, at least the early production ones had them. not sure about 36, but all had a "one piece" top in 37.

Last edited by moparx; 07/05/13 06:43 AM.