Ok, so like I posted a couple weeks ago, I've given up on the 440 swap. Sold a few of the parts and the engine and trans may be sold Easter weekend. I still have the bb truck headers and mount brackets available.

This leads me to my question. I'm considering a job change soon, but it's going to involve a weekly drive of about 80 miles one way. Since the old beast would be once again my daily (or weekly, actually) driver, the 10-14 mpg is really gonna suck. I'm looking for advice and suggestions on what I can do to increase that even a little bit. Here is what I'm working with:

The patient is an 86 D100 shortbed, 2wd, 318 auto as seen in the sig pic below. The truck is 95% stock with the only mods being the 2 1/2" full dual exhaust (planning ahead for the 440) and a distributor swap to eliminate the factory spark control computer. Still has the original carb which is not a feedback model. I can't remember what I did about the vacuum for the advance on the dist, but if I remember, it was an issue I left unresolved. I haven't driven the truck in nearly 2 years, but I will be waking her up next weekend. I do think it is running a bit rich as the bumper had been turning black over the pipes, and it does have that typical hesitation/bog that I have never been able to work out. I saw a post not too long ago about another member having a similar issue and he fixed it, but I couldn't get a response on exactly what he did to it. Something about the power piston I think. Would this also cause it to run rich? The last time I adjusted anything, I used a vacuum guage and adjusted for highest vacuum.

So the basic questions are: Do I need ported or direct vacuum for the vacuum advance? How do I fix the hesitation/bog? Could it possibly be adjusted ok at idle but rich under power? Is there anything else I can do to help with the milage?

TIA

P.S. Since I'm no longer putting the 440 in it, do I need to change my name?