Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

3" is just silly for a 408, even more stupid for a 360 in a dart!!

You guys are a riot.

Call me silly. I get a kick out of some of your stuff too .

My 340 was about 450 hp, hydraulic cam and pump gas. It had 2 1/2" with flowmaster 40s with turn downs at the rear end. I bracket race the car some and had always run it with the exhaust off and deciced to leave it on one night to see what it would do. It was late in the fall and the air was great, in the first round of open time trials all of my friends ran near their best times. I went out and the car ran 7.45 when it should've been in the 7.20s. When I pulled into my pit I put the ramps on tha trailer and pulled the car on them and took the exhaust off. Went right back out and ran 7.26, the best it had ever ran was 7.24. Now keep in mind that my exhaust turned down before the rear end, no bends over the rear end. This was real back to back runs 10 minutes apart, not some keyboard B.S.

The 408 in my car now is around 550 hp on pump 93 and has 3" exhaust turned down at the rear end, it has gone 6.70 with the exhaust and 6.57 without. Not on the same night so I can't say it's holding it back. I drive this car a lot in the summer, there is no resonance at any rpm and it's only loud inside when I gouge on it.

I bet those crappy flowing Flowmasters cost you far more restriction than the 2.5" pipe does/did

Dave

Agreed! Despite the name those things flow like there is a potato stuck up the pipe. For as much back and forth as there is regarding pipe size in this thread, muffler choice is probably more critical than 2.5" vs 3" for these power levels.

Last edited by MarkM; 03/11/13 07:24 PM.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60