I just discovered that the throttle shaft on the drivers side of my edelbrock performer was shot and leaking fuel and had a vaccum leak.
This performer i bought in april of 2011, so it wasnt even 2 years old yet. The vaccum leak from the throttle shaft was driving me insane!! I knew something wasnt right with my tune and could not find what was causing it for the longest time. I replaced intake manifold gasket carburetor gaskets. And the whole time it was the dam throttle shaft!
I decided to give edelbrock 1 more try because i have a ton of edelbrock bcarburetor parts, metering rods, jets, springs, accelerator pumps and pump nozzles and a few edelbrock carburetor tech books. So i just spent 375.00 bucks for a brand new edelbrock carburetor. This time i went with the 650cfm thunder series carb with electric choke. I put the jets and rods in the 650 from my 600 and and put the .033 accelerator pump nozzles from my 600 to 650.
Put the 650cfm on and set the idle air mixture screws to the highest vaccum reading. I still need to tune the secondary air-door, but this 650 seems to idle much better and the throttle response is alot smoother.
But the main thing i want to know is, how do i keep the thorttle shafts on this 650 in good shape? I dont want the throttle shafts on this 650 to start leaking. I'm sure running the lightest returtn spring i can find will help, but i also have my throttle valve cable for the transmission hooked up to the carburetor as well.
Also is there anybody in the buissness of fixing worn throttle shafts on the edelbrock carburetors? All of my edelbrock carburetor books say that once the throttle shaft is leaking the carburetor is ruined and its time to get a new one....