Quote:

in case you are still convinced that the "newer" technology is "always" better... here is a photo of a magnum head. both of the heads from that engine were cracked between the valve seats.
(it's a very common occurrance, by the way)

I've heard the head-cracking story for years, and for a long time I thought "OMG, gotta watch that if I ever get a Maggie, everyone says those heads are junk and too much $$ to fix". Lots of guys say *every* head they got from a JY was cracked.

Newer perspective, though, is that it is probably not a big deal. I've seen lots of wrecked trucks/vans in junkyards, and presumably they were driving down the road when they got hit. I've never heard of a crack hitting teh water jacket, and the crack is most likely due to residual stresses due to the induction hardening of the seats - so it cracks once, and then is done.

EDIT - only the exh seat is hardened, I believe, and it's awfully close to teh intake seat (the intake seat surely has some spill-over localized hardening), and the space between them comes up to a point that you can see in that picture. If that point/edge were dressed down ever so slightly at the factory, I'd bet cracks would not occur.

IMHO, lots of Maggies are driving around with cracked heads, driven by blissfully-ignorant drivers.

Aside from that, teh Maggie head benefits from 30 years of design improvements relating to efficiency, HP (stock vs stock, per CID of engine), reduced emissions, and detonation resistance. Not a fair comparison at all.

Last edited by Fury Fan; 03/14/13 02:35 PM.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.