Quote:

Quote:

I'm in the market for a steel crank for my 440 I'm putting together, its a 450-475hp aluminum headed street/strip toy. Trying to find a steel crank motor for a donor crank is damn near impossible around here lol. I was looking at ohio crank, they have a 4340 crank for under 600, any suggestions on one for this build? I'm trying to keep the cost down on the build but definitely dont have a problem paying for a quality piece to save me from destroying the motor a year down the road... thanks guys!

If you haven't started building/buying parts yet, a stroker crank is the same $$ as a new stock stroke crank. Same with new forged pistons. The only extra $$ would be a decent set of H-beam rods if you don't already have them. Gotta buy this stuff anyway so you might as well buy it big as buy it small.

A stroker kit is one stop shopping for your bottom end. 511 cubes for little or no more money than a 446. No replacement for displacement. Best money you will ever spend.

Kevin

if you get a crank from your local junkyard,the junkman has a job.
get it machined at the local shop and that guy has a job.get apart off graiglist and maybe that guy gets to pay his bills that month.you get to make friends with these guys and learn stuff from them.for want of a 475 horse motor id make sure not a dollar of my cash left my niehborhood much less went to china.

i hear all the time thats its cheaper to buy stuff than to recondition old stuff but personally i like putting my money right into my friends hands.my motor has a set of 906 heads that i have about 750 bones in and nobody understands why.this stuffs only cheeper to those of us who still are employed.