Quote:

To make room for the extended snout on the camshaft. when Chrysler did away with mechanical fuel pumps they also shortened the cam and on the Magnums they shortened the timing chain cover. The pump was redesigned for th enew Magnum cover and won;t work properly on an LA cover.
Don;t forget accesories. You are not likely to want to run the Magnum accesories, especially if you run the LA cover. You may have alignement issues running LA accesories on a Magnum block, just check them when you build the engine.

Beg to differ on this one. The Maggie cover is actually DEEPER than the LA. I measured both when I was swapping Magnum accessories on to my 340, and I wanted to leave the fuel pump eccentric on my cam. Worked just fine.

What DIDN'T work were the Maggie accessories. The LA blocks don't have the bosses that the Maggies do to mount the PS pump and tensioner, so you have to do a bit of fabrication to make them work. I won't likely do Maggie parts on an LA block again. It's just too easy to start with a Maggie block. I suspect, but can't prove, that LA accessories work just fine on a Maggie, once the TC/WP is swapped out.

Clair