Quote:

This might be pushing it a little.. but did you mash the pedal down all the way and check the carb?

I was thinking the same thing.

I had a car wouldn't get up into the RPM's and it was because the linkage on the carb would bind and not open fully. If the primaries do not open fully it will usually prevent the secondaries from opening at all. If it's vacuum secondary make sure the diaphragm is OK.

2nd thing to do is replace the points & Condenser. As said already, a bad condenser can cause weird problems but a weak points spring can cause the points to float at speed effectively preventing spark and becoming a rev limiter.

While your in the distributor compare the distributor cam to a known good one and make sure the distributor lobes aren't worn down. If you don't have a known good one post pics. Somebody on here will let you know. Don't forget to grease the point's rub block and distributor cam lobe.

I also had a dual point distributor that wouldn't run higher RPM's if one set of pints was disconnected.

If the Carb is opening all the way and the distributor is OK then check the cam timing. IMHO.