The AMCs also share the same bolt large pattern as Mopars, so swapping wheels is conveniant (such as to mount my current 16x10 rims... say, with some super-soft Hoosier A6 autocross rires). I've always liked the Javelins and AMX cars (have many pictures of the Mark Donahue TRANSAM cars racing Vintage up at Elkhart Lake Road America)... both short and long wheel base models. The "short wheel base" cars are the real sleeper/secret cars out there for autocrossing, although a bit heavy % in the front, but light in overall weight, and with a small turning radius ... 97" wheel base?. The longer wheel base cars are super on the road courses (110" wheel base ... just like the 110" e-body Challengers). The Hornet models are also sleeper/secrets. I'm good friends with some of the AMC crowd of autocrossers and road course racers here around Chicago/Milwaukee. There's a 72 AMX 401 with some mods (similar to my car/class) that has set and held road course SOLO track records at most of the local tracks (he's a fantastic driver!); there's a ~78 Hornet 401 that is heavily modified in an allout race class (where they could technically place my car, yet w/o as many mods as the Hornet has) that holds the various SOLO track records; there's an awesome 2-seat C/Prepared SCCA "70 AMX that used to dominate the class, as well as his long wheel base 71 AMX also in C/Prepaed. The biggest issue I hear about the AMC cars is their difficulty getting parts.. but I'd imagine that, just like us, if you're seriously into a certain car/model, etc, you can find just about anything, and at reasonable costs. I'd like to someday get an AMX , preferably a "70 2-seater, and set it up for national competition E/SP SCCA Solo racing... its a sleeper/secret that I've seen run and win... and properly setup with a good driver can be just about unbeatable... and "different" than all the other identical cars in the class.. they always look at the older cars with envy wishing they could own one!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!