Quote:

I have been having issues with an oil leak since I had my motor built a several years ago. My motor a SB 340 seems to be leaking out of the rear main area. I have replaced the rear main seal 3 times. I know that this is being installed properly and the correct direction. I called the engine builder and they said to try a 455 Buick rope seal which I tried with no success either.

I pulled the motor out again and pulled off the rear main cap and I was thinking that the oil might be coming out of the mating surfaces between the oil pump and the block. Has anyone every seen this before? Any one have any ideas of how to fix this? Thanks for any ideas in advance.

I had what i thought was a rear main leak a few years ago..pulled pan off with motor in car, rplaced seal, still leaked, pulled pan off again, rope seal, still leaked.

Finally took car and got it on a lift, pulled tranny out, the big cam plug was leaking, replaced and that was it, could see a little oil just standng in the bottom of the plug. it would run down the back of the block and look exactly like a rear main...just a thought

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, low 10.30’s 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17