The wiring harness is the same MOPAR Performance part that comes in the kit.

The main difference is that the distributor is a stock type electronic distributor whereas the MP kit distributor is made for them by one of the big name performance companies whose name escapes me at the moment and the MP distributor is set up (curve, springs etc...) for an engine with higher than stock horsepower etc. The electronic ignition module is a stock replacement type whereas the MP kit provides either the orange or chrome boxes which are designed to be compatible for an engine that sees higher RPM's than a stock engine.

The old MP kits may have provided a race only voltage regulator for 69 & older MOPARS.

If you are installing an electronic ignition set up in a 69 & older car you do need to change the voltage regulator over to either the 70 & up type or you need to buy a solid state voltage regulator as the stock mechanical type 69 & older regulators will not work with an electronic ignition. If you do a conversion on a 69 & older car and want to retain a stock looking voltage regulator, see (my) eBay auction, number 180295901456 for the correct appearance solid state voltage regulators that I sell for a shipped price that is $5 less than a major MOPAR Restoration Parts company sells the same item for without shipping.

An alternative to buying the kit is to build one yourself by purchasing the parts separately. From a Chrysler dealer or other Mopar Performance parts dealer, purchase part # P3690152 wiring harness.

As for Ignition Module Selection;
With a four pin electronic ignition module you can use a ballast resistor with two pins.
A 5 pin module requires the dual ballast resistor and associated wiring.

To use a 4 pin control module with the # P3690152 wiring harness and a two pin ballast resistor just eliminate the wire going to pin 3 on the module and use a single element two pin ballast resistor for.

I strongly recommend mounting the ignition module away from direct heat and on a bracket that allows air to flow behind the module as the factory did with most of their installations.

If your engine is relatively stock, you do not need the MP kit. I suspect that the kit you are looking at is on eBay from seller CJMP and he is a very reputable person to deal with.

I hope this helped - feel free to email me with questions. I am going to try to post a wiring diagram within this reply.

Bill

Last edited by furygt; 10/06/08 06:15 PM.