Quote:

Quote:

Yes counter shaft the shafts are the same dia but the Old style shaft for the cast iron case does not rotate. The 1/2 moon (woodruff) key on the end prevents that. I do not think they will interchange because of the length and the shaft is shorter on the OD trans to allow for the plug in the case at the end of the shaft and the OD shaft does not have the woodruff key slot.

The problem with the Aluminum case is that they used a floating counter shaft to make it quieter. Most new transmissions today do also but they either put a bushing or bearing in the case for support. The steel shaft rotating in the aluminum case leads to wallowed out holes in the aluminum case and the cluster gear begins to move. When the case wallows out and the cluster gear moves the trans get's noisy and the cluster gear fails.

The OD shaft also has a slot of a woodruff key which the Od trans uses , if the shaft was allowed to rotate it would wallow out that hole in a short time.

The OD shaft will and does fit in an Non OD trans. I bought one from a trans shop in NH not realizing it was the wrong one till I installed it , I had to tap it in place so I figure I was good to go till I had a puddle on the floor under my freshly rebuilt trans .

I was giving a heads up , you don't want to use the shorter shaft in the Iron case and also put some type of sealer in that hole before fully seating the pin if the case doesn't have a recess for a core plug .

I stand corrected then

Brewers does state that the shafts don't interchange from Cast iron to OD so it is a problem with length if guess.

I guess all the floating shafts I have found without keys were just a sign of that wonderful quality control Chrysler used to have.