My '72 Dart has had the leaf springs moved into the frame rails, and minitubbed. It came with a B-body rear (60-1/8" drum to drum) with new spring perches already in place, and old stock-sized tires and wheels for rolling it around. I plan on either 295-60R15 or even 325-50R15 if they'll fit in there. 451, 4-speed, mostly street use.

I got a great deal on Moparts for a pair of steel wheels widened to 10" with 8" backspacing, figuring on the sleeper look and that would be enough backspacing to use the B-body rear as is. Unfortunately it's not.
The outer edges of the rims, even with that maximum possible backspacing, is just about even with the unrolled inner fender lip. And there's miles of room between the inside of the rim and the frame rail (actually more like 4" but I haven't measured it yet).

So it looks like I either have to narrow the rear about 1.5 - 2" per side, which means new axles before I can even roll the body around, or get an A-body rear and run it stock for a while. I'm on a budget here so a Strange 60 is not really an option

Narrow the B-body or get an A-body rear?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/26/12 05:18 PM