Quote:

I hear this so many times on this site it makes me cringe. When I was still working loc-tite salesmen would come in and tell us about new products, old products, and how to use them. Here are a few does and dont's.
1. All bolts nuts and fasteners must be clean. Recommended procedure is to clean the bolt on a wire wheel, soak and clean them in an oil free cleaner like paint thinner, and blow dry.
2. After applying loc-tite torque nuts or bolts to proper spec.
3. NEVER EVER retorque nuts and bolts at a later date as you will only break the seal that the loc-tite made. visual inspection only.
With convertor bolts sometimes it requires stacking open end wrenches (wrench on wrench. cheater lever) to get the bolts to proper torque. He recommended 271 (red) as the proper loc-tite for this use.
4. If you don't know the history of the bolts that you are going to use "get new ones" they are not that expensive.
If your convertor bolts come loose after doing the above method you have other issues going on.(alignment,vibration, ect.)
REMEMBER loc-tite will not work on greasy oil soaked bolts.
Good-luck with your repairs and I hope all goes well.

This is a very good, often overlooked, point. For the chemical threadlocker to work properly, the joined parts must be clean.

Also, after installation, take some good touch-up paint (a silver Sharpie would probably work good too) and paint a line on the flexplate and bolt head so that you can tell if the bolt loosens.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Doug. Bobby had a similar experience with the Belvedere years ago. One of the bolt lugs welded to the converter decided to come loose in the burnout box. The bolt, still screwed into the lug, pulled through the hole in the flexplate from the centrifugal force. Although it sounds worse than your experience, the damage wasn't as bad.

'64 Dodge 440 2 dr. sedan - 440/pushbutton 727 (in the body shop)
'99 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Long bed 4WD - CTD 5 spd. 3.54
'89 Dodge 150 4x4 - 5.9 TBI/727 35x12.50's and 8" lift
'14 Dodge Dart Limited 2.4/6-speed A/T