I have a similar set up to Mitch, as well as a similar car. I run my 70 Challenger years of autocross, and several track days with an automatic 727 behind a stock 340. The trans has shift kit mods to it, higher stall converter than stock. I have the stock radiator cooler and and aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator, a deep pan with cooling tubes. I've run with a range of 3:55 to 4:10 gears. I should have a locking trans filler tube...on the "to do" list, as that is one point of contention. Even with the additional steps towards trans cooling the consensus is that I continually ballooned the converter, sending the crank into the thrust bearing, causing no failure, but a significant bottom end rebuild. Crank had a huge groove, and the bearing was toasted. Took some welding, new bearings, and a lot of patience to repair. Car never gave a sign of weakness and it was uncovered during a motor pull when the crank thrust was measured with a yardstick, versus a dial indicator.

Auto trans for non-straight line? Sure.
Do I like it? Sure. My car was an automatic before it was my race car, so I made do with what I had. I'm of the opinion that the automatic would do just fine. Just go big on the trans cooling, and oil cooling, and engine cooling, and...you get the idea.

68 AMX mopars red headed stepchild
69 Dart GT Convertible 340 4 speed
71 Challenger - looks like the avatar!