Quote:

Quote:

I want a hassle free, no nonsense, bolt it on, fine tune it and go carb.

No such thing. Period. Most carb problems on this board are from people who think like this. A carb can't jump out of a box and know what your engine wants. You can't just throw a carb on, play with the idle screws and expect it to be done. They sell tuning kits for a reason. Jets, rods, power valves, accelerator pump cams and nozzles, secondary springs, etc.

Technically true- the only exception I have ever used was a Predator PX6000- this is a variable venturi carb that basically tunes itself. The X version had an idle circuit. You could change a set of cams though to richen/lean the mixture- but this was an across the board set change, not a specific change. They can be found still but they are $$$, and strangely enough very tall. I had hood clearance issues with it....Hell of a carb though.....

Now- that being said-
I agree totally. On a standard Holley or Carter/Edelbrock- Yes- every engine is different and the carb must be tuned for that engine.
Despite what Holley advertises as a 'Bolt-it-on-and-go' Street Avenger series I believe they call it- you will have to do some tuning.

To answer the question - I'd use a Edelbrock AVS series, and I'd start with what would have been the standard needle/jetting for a typical 440 of that time and work from there. Yes- you will need a tuning kit with different needles/jets and springs. A good selection of pump squirters isn't a bad idea either, even though you can drill out the one's you have if need be. But the factory 440 tune is a good starting point- but ONLY a starting point.

It's not that I don't like the Holley- yes a 950HP would definitely do the job- it's just that I like not having gaskets below fuel level in carb, and the ease of tunability of the Edelbrock/Carter's.

Just MY opinion.
Your other option would be one of the new bolt-on FI units that are now coming to market. They truly are just bolt-on and go, as they self-tune. Again, cost is the consideration there as well.

Whatever you do, buy one of the either Carter or Holley tuning books that are readily available out there(depending on which carb you buy), read it, and proceed accordingly.

Enjoy!
CC.