I understand that 1967 was the sole year (or close to it) that 318s had closed-chamber heads until the 302 head came along later in the 80s.

My engine just rolled over 107,000 miles - I know that the valve guides are a little wobbly from when I changed the springs, and had use or not I'm sure the valve seats have seen better days (stem heights appeared equal but who knows what the actual sealing surface looks like).

I found Clearwater Cylinder Heads on eBay selling refurbed 302 castings for about $185 a pop, including valves. 68-72cc chambers. Supposedly there are some suppliers out there like CM Engines who sell for even less if you ask (this is according to a 4 year old post, though).

What'd be better worth my money - buying a pair of new 302 heads for around $400-500, or having my existing heads refurbed for that much or more? I don't know many machine shops around here nor what $500 would buy in good head work beyond guides/seats, or if 67s are worth messing with. Of course there's the wildcard 360 head but I still don't understand if it's possible to recover the lost compression on those with head milling alone.

There's a bazillion articles and posts and topics about 302s, but I haven't been able to find out much about the original '67 small block heads.

Inform me, please!

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s