I remember a lot of cars running the local tracks that had spacers or heavy coils to raise the independent frontend to get better weight transfer, but the willys,anglias and austins all seamed to have an axle under them and were raised for the same reason.

but as the 60's progressed and tires got better and speeds increased the nose of these cars started getting lower as the car got faster and a lot of people switched to Opel's,mustangs and even a few 68-70 cudas started showing up in the GAS classes and most of these cars had an axle under then to keep them light.

as the early 70's came and the gas class was eliminated a lot of the 60's gasser became street rods or street/strip cars.

I had a friend with a SS chevelle and another with a 65 GTO that had their cars really high with the use of a ball joint space and air condition BB springs and their cars looked like the early 60's gas cars,

I had my 63 max wedge car jacked up by the torsion bars and extra leafs in the back and we all had a blast crusin' the streets for hours.

so to answer the qustion:
"Do all Gassers have straight axles?"

No they don't and they really don't have to sky high either. but they do look COOL like that. just my opinion. Ron...