Quote:

Clarification. I am holding an OEM shifter in my hands. The 1-2 and 3-4 shift levers have a hole through them. The reverse lever goes toward the front and has what appears to be half a hole (notch)on the rear edge of the reverse lever. The adjustment rod goes completely through the shifter and is indexed on both sides of the shifter housing.

What year is your shifter box , prior to 1970 the reverse lever in the OEM factory installed Hurst shifters for Chrysler products did not have a hole thru the reverse lever for the alignment pin. the tool to align the shifter was U shaped , had a pin that went into the notch on the box and into 1/2 and 3/4 , the other part of the tool slide over the outside edge of the notch and over all 3 levers and it had a thumb screw to close the open end of the U .

I don't remember if that changed in 70 or 71 , but this is how 68 and 69 shifters were and are aligned, someone posted a photo of the tool from the FSM within the last 2 weeks in another thread on this subject.

I made one of these tools because I was not able to find one.

Here is a picture of the factory tool i found in another much older thread .

Last edited by JohnRR; 05/05/12 01:31 PM.