Quote:

sometimes when im cranking and cranking and it wont fire, when i turn the key off, it will hit, if i do that a few times it will sometimes clear the plugs enough to start.

I think you found your problem ......It sounds like your ignition switch has a problem.

I have 2 cars that don't have chokes one is a 512 with a Holley 950 HP with no choke horn and electric fuel pump. The other is a 440 with a Holley 800 DP it has a choke and choke horn but it's not hooked up and a mechanical fuel pump. Both start about the same way after sitting for months. On the electric fuel pump car I turn the key on let the carb fill up then pump the thorttle 5 times crank with my foot off the throttle let it start and die pump the throttle 5 more times and start it nurse it along by tapping the throttle just enough to keep it running for about 30 seconds then rev it up to about 2,000 rpm in little burps a few times and it will idle. I do the same thing with the mechanical fuel pump car but before I do anything I crank the engine for a couple seconds to get fuel in the carb.