Quote:

Quote:

Look at the subframe connector threads in the Cornering forum here. I doubt that 1x2 tubing would add that much torsional stiffness. The cowl crack is probably due to a hidden defect from the time the car was built or because of a collision long ago. I recall reading your posts, as I remember, you don't stress your car very much. The connectors may be a waste of effort and $$ if you drive conservatively.

I pretty much agree with this.. Stu you probably don't drive aggressively enough to justify subframe connectors but if you want to add them I don't see any reason not to... But if your gonna do it 1"x2" material isn't worth the trouble.... most guys use 2"x2" or 2"x3"...

Ehhh, I sorta agree but sorta disagree. Sub-frame connectors do not provide a huge amount of support for torsional stiffness, but they do help some. They do provide a large amount of help for increasing overall rigidity, particularly accelleration forces and they do a good job at reducing squeaks, rattles, and panel alignment changes that occur with a 40 year old car, regardless of how hard you drive it. This alone is worth their addition.

Similarly, while 2x3 or 3x3 bisecting the floor are better suited to the application, simple 1x3 tubing, even set in the flattest plane, will improve overall strength enouhg to be noticeable.

Think of it this way, your car is held together by spot welds, just like a shirt with buttons. Gaps between all those welds/buttons allow flex. Adding subframe connectors and/or torque boxes provides additional support for all those welds.