Guys I had the check engine light come on, so I pulled over and checked the codes.

41 came up and I have determined it is a charging related code.

Checked my connections, and all look good.

Symptoms:

When the check light came on, I scanned the gauges, everything looked OK. The volt meter was siting at 1/2 gauge, straight up, not in a charge, but not discharge.

As I exited the interstate, the volt gauge dropped, to a about 1/4 gauge, a fairly good discharge reading. If I bring the RPM up, the gauge would swing over to a charge (over half gauge) reading.

As I drove through the 35mph zone, it would stay on a discharge reading, but if I goosed it, it would again swing to charge.

When I parked, and went to N (no load on the engine/trans) the gauge would go to the middle at idle. If I slipped back into gear (Put the load back on the engine) it would again drop.

If i turned on headlights, during idle, no noticeable drop in volts was seen.

In my opinion the swinging of the gauge to the charge side is saying the alternator is working, my conclusion may be a faulty battery?

I have noticed that over the past two months when I was unable to drive the truck that the battery would discharge if I let it set for 5 or so days.

I would charge it up, and start the truck about once a week, and the battery would not seem to hold a charge without the aid of at least a 2A trickle charge.

What are your thoughts? I really need to get this fixed before I have to travel home tonight and need the headlights.

Truck is a 1993 Dodge W250 Diesel. So one good thing is the battery wont drain too quickly while running. All i really need to have is power enough to hold the fuel shutoff valve open. The diesel doesn't have any ignition draw.